Darren Nelson, MD
About Dr. Nelson
A board-certified general surgeon, Dr. Nelson performs a full range of endoscopic, laparoscopic and open surgical procedures, including surgery for breast and intestinal cancers, thyroid disorders, gallbladder, and hernia repair. He brings more than 25 years of surgical experience and a caring nature to his patients.
Dr. Nelson earned his degree as a registered nurse from the College of Lake County and graduated with honors from the School of Chemical Sciences at the University of Illinois. He received his medical doctorate from Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine and completed a surgical residency at Columbus Hospital in Chicago. Among his many honors, Dr. Nelson was awarded the Resident Achievement Award from the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons and a March of Dimes Scholarship. He is a diplomat of the American Board of Medical Examiners, is certified by the American Board of Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
When Dr. Nelson isn’t working, he likes to spend time with his family. He also enjoys many outdoor activities, including fishing, boating and gardening.
For patient convenience, our providers practice at multiple clinic and hospital locations throughout the Fox Valley and Northeast Wisconsin. Please call FVSA for physician-specific locations.
- Registered Nurse – College of Lake County
- Bachelor of Science – School of Chemical Sciences at the University of Illinois
- Doctor of Medicine – Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
- Residency – General Surgery, Columbus Hospital in Chicago
- Board Certified, The American Board of Surgery
- Wisconsin State License
- Diplomat – American Board of Medical Examiners
- Fellow – American College of Surgeons